This section shows you effective methods of reducing stress to a level where you can perform most effectively. The techniques that you select depend on the cause of the stress and the situation in which the stress occurs.
In choosing methods to combat stress, it is worth asking yourself where the stress comes from: if outside factors such as relationship difficulties are causing stress, then a positive thinking or imagery based technique may be effective. If the stress is based on the feeling of adrenaline in the body, then it may be effective purely to relax the body and slow the flow of adrenaline.
As with all sports psychology skills, the effectiveness of the stress reduction technique depends on practice.
Stress caused by outside or environmental factors:
- Reduce the Importance of the Event
- Reduce Uncertainties
- Listen to Music or Relaxation Tapes
Physical Techniques: these are most effective where stress is driven by excessive levels of adrenaline.
- Progressive Muscular Relaxation
- Breathing Control
Mental Techniques: most effective where psychological factors are driving stress.
- Imagery Relaxation
- Thought Awareness, Rational Thinking and Positive Thinking
- Remembering past good workouts, performances and achievements
- Self-Hypnosis and Auto-Suggestion